|image courtesy of kelvin255|
Since my birthday was a few weeks ago, I typically don't want anything for Valentine's Day (I know, what is wrong with me?). Instead of gifts, this year I'm choosing to make my husband and son dinner to celebrate.
Here's the menu:
- brushetta with homemade ciabatta
- grilled steaks with onion, blue cheese sauce
- refrigerator salad with lemon vinaigrette
- balsamic roasted brussel sprouts
- bottle of red from the "closet" cellar
- classic cheesecake with strawberry sauce
- chocolate covered strawberries
The menu is as local as possible and everything is homemade -- no store bought mixes or sauces. The strawberries I used for the sauce were from last summer's freeze after we picked them. The ciabatta bread was a long process. I started at 10 am on Saturday and wasn't done with it until 5!
If you're looking to "green" you Valentine's Day, here are some great blog posts floating around the internet!
3 Simple Ways to Green Your Valentine’s Day
For the record, if my husband does want to buy me anything, the stores are full of my favorite flower -- tulips!